Well we’re back in the water as of last Monday after getting most of the jobs done on the outside. After the launch it was a case of secure up back at the pontoon and have an early day as I was about ready for a break. While doing the rewire you start thinking – “While I’m doing this I may as well do that and how about that” etc. So on Tuesday we went to Midland Chandlers at Mercia Marina to purchase two new wall/reading lights for the lounge and two more for the bedroom with two replacement ceiling lights for the lounge, along with four nice stainless steel grilles for the ceiling vents. While we were there we had a quick look across the marina for any familiar names or boats but nothing seen.
Wednesday was another quiet day catching up with jobs at home. Down to T-A again on Thursday doing a bit more of the wiring inside with the weather being so foul.
Felt really sorry for this little swallow on the TV aerial of the next boat looking dejected with the rain hammering down making no attempt to move.
The wiring continues and the inside of the boat still looks like a war zone.
This is the galley area with lights now in and working and that’s a fan dangling there. Again, while I’ve got things in pieces the vent over the hob is getting an extractor fan installed as is the vent in the bathroom – picked them up in Maplin. Also got a load of PC case fans to be fitted in the bilges and behind the fridge/freezer to aid circulation. On top of all that there are 4.5mm cables being run down each side to take cigar lighter type sockets to be mounted to operate 12V ancillary equipment. Not forgetting LED floor lights for the wheelhouse and steps still to be wired in.
This is the third bag full of cable recovered, about 75% of the way there now but I haven’t been able to achieve my goal of removing all old wiring as some is jammed behind panels. It will have to be left but at least it will not be connected to anything as there will be no connections to the battery but mine. To that end I have even managed to get some super flexible 70 sq. mm cable plus terminals to replace the main feeds between battery and inverter.
All a bit chaotic and boring but bear with me as this wiring/rewiring will take a while longer yet but at the same time I hope to get other jobs on the go. Popped into Nottingham last Wednesday and got some 8x4ft sheets of ash faced ply in 6mm and 3.6mm as well as 18mm birch ply, ready for making new cupboards, battery boxes and the like.
Looks like there is more work coming up with the Grantham Canal Society in the near future, Shame I missed out on the new gates going in at lock 18 which was put back and clashed with T-A being out of the water.