Thursday, 18 October 2012


Karen had a couple of weeks off work coming. It had been hoped that T-A would be further on than she is so we could have a trip out but it was not to be.
The time hasn’t been wasted though with odd days out visiting friends and doing a bit of retail therapy. The main event has to be finding a new playmate for Sox at the Dogs Trust near Loughborough.
His name is Tommy, usually shortened to Tom but extended to Thomas when he is in trouble J. An 18 month cross breed, I’m inclined to think there is a lot of staffy in there.
Over the last fortnight we have been worn out by the pups chasing and playing
 and they have become inseparable.
Getting back to boaty stuff.
The discovery day at Woolsthorpe went well although visitors were down on last year but that seems to be a nationwide trend.
To make a bit more room on T-A for floor laying I brought home the bathroom sink stand/cabinet. Finding it was so flimsy have decided to remake it.
Loads of holes drilled for pocket screws but only half of them used and quite a few of the screws used were broken. I suspect the broken screws are there because our builder has used coarse screws designed for softwood rather than the fine meant for hardwoods.
The holes drilled aren’t deep enough to plug  so they are being re-drilled and the unused ones are being plugged. Once reassembled the remaining holes will be plugged using ash dowel. You can’t see the holes unless your head is in the cupboard so why bother – the trouble is I know they are there not properly finished off and it will bug me.
Looking back at all the cockups from the build, nearly all of them are basic errors. I do wonder if it was beneath our builders dignity or beyond his capability to read the instructions.

Wednesday, 3 October 2012

The Grot Goes On

Well plenty been going on this past week, a lot of it to do with the GCS.
Last Saturday we had a group of 109 students from Loughborough University under the flag of C&RT volunteers. These were split into four groups – clearing Knipton feeder, litter picking on the public paths, painting locks 16 - 18 and I got the party clearing canal side foliage between locks 15 & 16.
They may have looked like a rabble without a clue but don’t be fooled
They worked hard and did a bloomin’ good job.
Monday was mowing the grass and generally tidying Woolsthorpe Depot ready for Sundays discovery day.
As far as T-A is concerned the last of the flooring has been removed, but in the bedroom that meant removing the radiator and corner cupboard.
Usual story.
All that’s left to do now is remove the last of the broken screws with a mole grip (I’ve removed enough to make a fakirs bed) and scrape off the mastic before laying the new floor. Everywhere below that I can get at has been cleaned and Waxoyled.
When she was being built we asked for three steps down from the wheel house but as usual it was a case of you’ll get what you are given.
Knocked up a set of steps from scrap wood and it immediately felt more comfortable.
It can’t be seen here but the treads are raked back at 10 deg. to save catching your heels. The finished article will be oak treads with ash body and have storage access. The plain wooden steps at present can be slippery with wet footwear so to that end I have ordered some heavy duty non slip sheeting which will be set into the treads